This weekend we were blessed to be part of the service at one of our supporting churches. Since it was here in Owensboro we didn’t have to travel, and the kids were able to attend classes with the friends they’ve been making through youth group activities.
It was a good weekend. Scott, the preaching minister, gave a short sermon and then we were “interviewed” by Shawn Green, the outreach minister and good friend. It was a great format to allow the congregation to get to know us, give an update about our ministry, gain a few new prayer partners, and (hopefully) challenge people. At the end, the kids joined us on stage for prayer.
Having 5 kids come into the sanctuary and then up to stage can prove a bit interesting. Here are a few funny (and unspiritual) things which happened during the church services which may or may not have been observed by those in the congregation.
- Last night, for the Saturday service, there was a miscommunication on when the children would come into the sanctuary. Therefore during Scott’s message, before the interview started, here came four children. Robin got up as discretely as possible (rather difficult when sitting up front) to usher the kids back to their classes and come back in to sit down. When the kids came in for the 2nd time it wasn’t as quietly as we’d have hoped. Jeremiah proceeded to bounce around in the pew and run around. It took everything in Dan to not get down off the stage during the interview to discipline him.
- During Saturday evening’s prayer Jeremiah took great delight in watching himself dance in the tv monitor. When the prayer was over he didn’t want to come down off the stage and had to be carried down (with some protesting).
- Sunday morning first service: the older kids were sitting in church with us. Karunia exited at the appropriate time to get the smaller kids however, when they came into the sanctuary Jeremiah came running down the aisle and immediately up on stage in the middle of our interview. Esperansa followed suite, though at a slightly slower pace. Thankfully they went and sat down without too much fuss.
- When it was time for all children to join us on stage for prayer (still Sunday 1st service), Josiah walked up and immediately showed Dan the tooth he had pulled – in church, during our interview. If you know us well then you know Dan’s laugh. It took everything in him to hold that laugh inside at that moment.
- During the 2nd Sunday morning service Dan zoned a bit while Robin was answering a question and quickly had to refocus to handle his part of the answer.
- Finally by Sunday third service all the funny/awkward moments seemed to have passed. At least we aren’t aware of any glitches.
Despite the funny or slightly embarrassing moments (at least, if there was any doubt, people now know we aren’t a perfect family), we were glad for the opportunity. We pray the Lord was honored. Thanks OCC for your support and the chance to share with the congregation.